Monday, February 25, 2008

E... S... A...

Whenever tragedy reenters our lives, someone nearby always laments that "it took this to remind us how fragile we are."

Fewer people, it seems, would choose to ponder solemn thoughts on a sunny day versus a rainy day. And since death and sickness are widely considered "solemn" topics... they usually take a back seat when you're in a park or at a beach.

It may seem odd, but I find these the perfect times to consider our frailty-- not to bring down my happiness but, on the contrary, to maximize my appreciation for what we have.

It is in that spirit (of taking stock in everything we have while the weather's fine) that I recommend a movie to you, my 2nd favorite movie of all time: The Diving Bell & the Butterfly.

It's a real-life story of a man who loses everything but his mind--and one eye--and still squeezes every ounce he can out of life.

Like the other movies on my proverbial top shelf, The Diving Bell challenges you to look inside yourself and decide if you could do what he did. If the only ability you had left was the ability to dream, could you? Would you? And why?

I suggest you stake out some time to experience this film. Usually, if we feel like a movie-night, it's because we want to unplug our reality; we'd rather someone else do the thinking (make me laugh, make me cry, etc.) You'll get more out of this film if you engage with it, so I'd set aside a movie-night, rather than save this film for one.

I left the theater on my own two feet, re-inspired to do/feel/taste/see as much as I can while I can. And it hit me shortly after: Jean-Dominique Bauby just touched someone else from across an ocean, 10 years apart, and with a blink of an eye. 

Your story, Mr. Bauby, no matter how close to "real life," has breathed new life into me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i wish we could have talked more after the film. i didnt realize you loved it THAT much. let's continue our independent film viewing together. i've missed you. xo - sher