Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007

The simplest way I segment the stages of my life is in 3 parts:
1982-2003: I counted on myself (and my nuclear family) for just about everything
2003-2006: I sensed that my ego and impatience was eating away at some of my potential; I began to chill out, talk less, and listen more to try to learn what opportunities I'd been missing (or at least not fully appreciating)
2007- : I truly began to feel like a part of whatever environment I'm in (foreign or familiar, be it a room or an entire city)

Phase 3 began with my "New Life's Resolution" (see 1/27/07 entry) and the book that helped me realize what parts of my personality I (and everyone around me) could do without. As a result, I've had a very relaxing and rewarding year despite its many changes and challenges.

I kicked off 2007 in Maine, watching my father get a stem-cell transplant (the results of which are ambiguous at best and seemingly ineffective). I performed a demanding, high-profile job for 7 months, knowing all the while that it was last 7 months I'd probably ever do it. I solidified a second home for myself 2400 miles from where I began, a home filled with the very people that helped me transition from my second Phase into my third. That Key from the City of Las Cruces is the single most meaningful physical gift I've ever received. It is proof to me that I've come into a very healthy and productive place in my life, as well as a salute to all the friends I made down there. I simply would have had little desire to accomplish what I did without your love.

My Quote of 2007 encapsulates this sense of family among my Borderland friends. It may sound collegiate. But trust me, B-Rizz "said" much more than she said:

"We may run out of food. We may run out of blankets. But we will never-- never-- run out of booze."

* * * * *

A few toasts, darts, and racks later, I came home... Five months in, I still feel caught in a whirlwind of reunions. Living back at home has proved to me I never want to live outside driving distance from my parents. Reconnecting with my sister (who I haven't had a day-to-day relationship with since I graduated high school) has made this homecoming wholly worth it on its own. I saw 8 dear friends wed. And I truly believe this current job is taking me right where I'm trying to go. Don't bother asking... I have no idea where that is yet.

My defining moment of 2007 will remain the exchange I had with Dad when Colorado's Seth Smith stepped to the plate, shortly before Jonathan Papelbon struck him out to end the World Series:
Dad: "I'm glad you're here."
Me: "I'm glad you are, too."

I will never forget 2007. It was a year of extreme tests. But I am far stronger and more stable from it and I will always look back on it fondly. To half of you, thank you so much for having me. To the other half, thanks so much for having me back.

To '07. To '08.
L'Chayim...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thursday nights in The Other Half of the World are far less engaging than they were during your stay. Peace and Love, my Great Friend... Peace and Love. -- jess

emmy. said...

God, J, you haven't blogged since 2oo7. kick it up a notch. i'm sure all of your faithful readers miss you.

...and if you don't feel like blogging, i guess all those faithful readers can come over and read mine, instead ;)

*mwah*.
love you.