Saturday, September 15, 2007

Boston, You're My Home

Finally, the blog I couldn't wait to write (but had to for 6 weeks).

I have a job.

I'm the newest communications associate (a/k/a utility infielder) on the Comm. team at Jobs for the Future, a national non-profit group in Boston that helps create equal educational opportunities for our nation's disenfranchised youth and young adults. It's main goal is to see a degree or specialty certification beyond a HS diploma in the hands of every American by age 26. Talk about a mission I can invest my passion in. I start September 19th.

Check out our website: www.jff.org

So why non-profit communications? What's wrong with local news?

I believe Journalists serve an incredible purpose in this country. They have the power to give voice to the voiceless, hold our public officials accountable, warn us about a variety of dangers, empower us to act upon those warnings, encourage us to participate in social events that matter to us, and paint us a larger, fuller picture of our place and time than we could imagine on our own.

That said: it's not for me. I believe I work better with one mission and one set of goals. On the issue of America's education gap, I'm gaining a clearer perspective of where we are. And I know where I want us to be. A to B. Journalism is not an A-to-B industry. It's comprised of millions of tiny a-to-b stories, true. But the way I see it, Journalism's mission is without end-point: Tell. It is relentless; it is thankless. And anyone who takes up the cause for the right reasons has my utmost admiration and gratitude.

It's just not for me. And maybe this next job won't be either. But my likes and dislikes for it will undoubtedly guide me further up the road to my next attempt at creating positive and lasting changes in our society.

At least my hiatus is up. It absolutely sucked. I won't sprinkle any sugar on that. But I'm changing careers at 25. I wasn't expecting a red carpet and a job offer attached to every flashbulb. It's done. Let's move on.

Thank you all for your support. I hope you know you all have mine. Whenever, however you need it.

I'll end on a laugh, courtesy of my ol pal Fitzy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFfobQftP5k&watch_response

See you in Beantown.
Rube

No comments: